It is estimated that 178 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. Tooth loss can affect multiple elements of your life. Fortunately, the right dental solution will help to address the associated cosmetic and functional issues.
If you are missing most or all of your teeth, consider getting All-on-4 implants. This dental implant technique has several advantages over traditional implants. For instance, full arch implants are a more cost-effective option; they take less time to install, replace the entire teeth row and rarely require bone grafting. However, before undergoing the procedure, it is important to learn a few basics about All-on-4.
Here is what you need to know.
WHAT IS THE ALL-ON-4 PROCEDURE?
All-on-4 is a treatment concept that uses a fixed set of dental implants that are surgically placed into your jaw. The permanent set of fabricated teeth is held in place by just four implants and replaces the entire upper or lower set of teeth. This means that you will not need to replace each missing tooth individually.
A proper All-on-4 procedure can restore the look, feel and function of your natural teeth. This will go a long way in improving your smile.
WHY ALL-ON-4 COSTS LESS THAN TRADITIONAL IMPLANTS
When you want to avoid or get out of dentures, some of the options for replacing missing teeth that you can consider are All-on-4 and traditional implants. Generally, full arch dental implants are a cheaper option when compared to a full set of traditional implants. But why exactly does this procedure end up costing less than getting many implants over time?
Read on to find out.
A SINGLE DENTAL APPOINTMENT
With full arch dental implants, all the procedures can be completed in a single visit. Unlike placing implants one by one over time, all tooth extractions and implants can be done on the same day. This is partly because you require only four dental implants in each jaw to hold the bridge in place.
Once you have a full set of new teeth, there will be no additional surgeries and very few if any follow-up appointments. Compared to traditional implants that are associated with multiple dental visits, the All-on-4 procedure will save you money.
Regardless of the treatment option you choose, replacing missing teeth can be quite expensive. However, if you have suffered significant tooth loss, full-arch rehabilitation may make for a more affordable dental restoration option.
By replacing the entire teeth row, full arch implants can reduce the cost of treatment considerably. Unlike traditional dental implants, you will not pay for individual single tooth replacements. Instead, you will pay for the four implants and tooth prosthesis all at once. Also, you may enjoy a lower rate for the procedure.
REDUCED NEED FOR BONE GRAFTING
When it comes to traditional implants, the roots have to be placed in a specific position. When the jawbone is too weak or is not enough, bone grafting may have to be done ahead of time in order to create solid and stable support. However, this procedure costs more money and requires more visits to the dentist.
With the All-on-4 procedure, the need for bone grafting is significantly reduced. Oftentimes, your oral surgeon will select the healthiest parts of your jaw to place the implants in. This goes a long way in reducing the overall cost of treatment.
HOW THIS PROCEDURE SAVES TIME COMPARED TO TRADITIONAL IMPLANT TREATMENTS
In addition to costing less than traditional implant treatments, All-on-4 also saves time. This makes it an ideal option for people who suffer from dental phobia. The procedure is quick, something that helps to reduce the total treatment time. Here's how.
Replacing each missing tooth individually can be time-consuming. Your oral surgeon will have to install several implants, meaning you will be required to undergo multiple surgeries to have all your missing teeth replaced. You will also have to wait for several weeks in between the appointments for your jaw to heal.
All-on-4 is different from traditional implants in several ways:
- It takes one day and only a single operation to install the artificial roots and replacement teeth.
- You will experience minimal discomfort during the procedure, a factor that allows the oral surgeon to work faster and more efficiently.
- Lastly, you will rarely need a bone graft ahead of time in order to get full arch implants installed. This contributes to a shorter treatment period and minimizes dental visits, effectively saving you time.
HOW ALL-ON-4 IMPROVES QUALITY OF LIFE QUICKLY
There are many reasons why you should consider choosing full arch implants. This procedure helps to improve your quality of life quickly. Below are some additional benefits you will enjoy when you choose full arch implants over individual traditional implants.
- A permanently restored smile: All-on-4 is a stable, secure and permanent solution for missing teeth. This ensures great comfort and convenience for you. Also, the treatment option protects the surrounding teeth, gum tissue and underlying bone from decay and deterioration. This in turn helps to transform your smile, something that not only boosts your self-confidence but also ensures you make a great first impression.
- Recovery period: Apart from the short treatment period, the recovery period after undergoing an All-on-4 procedure is about one week. Also, the pain you experience after the procedure is minimal and will be tolerable without medication. As such, you will be able to resume your normal routine and diet within no time.
- Quick results: Unlike individual traditional implants that could take up to six months to complete, full arch implants deliver quick results. Once the four implants and teeth have been installed, you will see improvements to your smile as well as your overall bite. Since there will be no food restrictions, you can enjoy your favorite foods after undergoing the procedure.
- Easier care and better oral hygiene: You do not have to remove your full arch implants for cleaning. Similarly, you can brush and floss the fabricated teeth just like your natural teeth. Lastly, these dental restorations are designed to help preserve your jaw and improve your oral health. In the end, better oral hygiene will go a long way in improving your quality of life.
Do you have missing or multiple problematic teeth? All-on-4 dental implants may be the right solution for you. At North Shore Smile Surgery, we use this innovative method of replacing a full arch of teeth with implants to create a beautiful new smile.
Dr. Scott Frank is a passionate, experienced and skilled oral surgeon who will work hard to help you achieve the results you desire. Visit our website today to schedule an appointment and start your smile transformation journey.